20 September 2008

Hill Myna (Gracula religiosa) - another LIFER at my backyard

Hill Myna (Gracula religiosa) at My backyard in Raub Malaysia What an exciting week - two LIFER in three day. Actually this "Tiung Emas" is not true lifer as I have seen it at cage somewhere - a popular cage bird for it nice song that can mimic human voice, like parrot. Anyway this is the first time I saw it in natural habitat.

I was waiting for Pond Heron (Ardeola sp) - another early migrant here, to perch at this dead teak tree, when suddenly a flock of five myna perched. I though all that Common Myna or Javan Myna that I see every day. Then I noted unusual yellow colour at the side of the head. I just fire a few shot in the thick morning fog and mist with the flash off. So here are a few poor shot for my record.


Hill Myna (Gracula religiosa) at My backyard in Raub MalaysiaThe different between the two species is in the head yellow patch of Hill Myna (left) and Common Myna (right).
The feather is also different with Jet Black for Hill Myna and dark grey for Common Myna.


Hill Myna (Gracula religiosa) at My backyard in Raub Malaysia Hill Myna (Gracula religiosa)
Local name Tiong Emas
Size (cm) 30
Habitat Forests, forest edge, wooded areas

2 comments:

Amila Salgado said...

Suddently it appears to be raining with lifers for you!.

Good find.

Anonymous said...

Clever bird!





---------------------
Title:Hill Myna Global
Url: http://www.hillmyna.com/
logo: http://www.hillmyna.com/images/stories/logo.gif
Descripition: Hill Myna Global-Discuss Hill myna breeding and training, share ideas and stories, protect wild hill myna!