09 November 2008

Stick Insect at Raub's Shooting Range ~ Lonchodes brevipes

My fiend took this picture of Stick Inset with his hand phone at Raub's Shooting Range, and asked me to identified it. I don't know. I tried browsing the internet and comparing the pictures from 'www.phasmatodea.de' web site. Very confusing, it could be Phenacephorus sp. or Lonchodes sp.

Finally I got the correct ID from Dr. Frank H. Hennemann (Entomologist from Germany) , with the help of fellow blogger Amila Salgado from Sri Lanka.
Lonchodes brevipes, Gray 1835 (Subfamily Lonchodinae)

Here picture of same species from Poland web site ,terrarium.com.pl , translate to English here.
Compare it to the world longest insect (56.7cm) named after Malaysian naturalist.

Stick insect Lonchodes brevipes Gray

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Wow, what an insect. It has the perfect camouflage.

Anonymous said...

We have a similar insect in Hawaii. They are fascinating -- with a perfect camouflage for their environment. I am not surprised that Amila could direct you to someone who could identify your specimen.

Anonymous said...

looked at this type also at penang butterfly farm. hav a look at my blog =)