09 May 2009

Birding on 'Pahang Hari Hol' at Bukit Rengit

7th May is a public holiday in the State of Pahang here in Malaysia. It is called Hari Hol - day to remember the past Sultan, ruler of the state.
I take the opportunity to indulging in my hobby - birding / bird photography. Bukit Rengit is a well known among birder for its lowland bird species. Situated near Lancang and within the Krau Wildlife Forest Reserve. The Malaysia Institute of Biodiversity located there.

I got five ΔΔΔΔΔ lifers that day.

Δ Lifer No.1 - Wreathed Hornbill (Rhyticeros undulatus)
I almost miss this species if not for the sound of its wings. I heard loud swishing sound and looked up, OMG there a pair of big bird in flight. Just enough time for two quick grab shots.
The lower left is a male with yellow gular pouch, and female (right) sport a bluish gular pouch.
Wreathed Hornbill (Rhyticeros undulatus)
Wreathed Hornbill (Rhyticeros undulatus)
Wreathed Hornbill (Rhyticeros undulatus)Δ Lifer No. 2 - Black-capped Babbler (Pellorneum capistratum).
I photographed this babbler at the small stream there. This bird was having a bath at this shallow crystal clear water at 10.45am. Sorry for disturbing you! ;)

Black-capped Babbler (Pellorneum capistratum)
Black-capped Babbler (Pellorneum capistratum)
Black-capped Babbler (Pellorneum capistratum)
Black-capped Babbler (Pellorneum capistratum)You peeping tom, I am taking a bath, Go away!
Black-capped Babbler (Pellorneum capistratum)Δ Lifer No. 3 - Crimson-winged Woodpecker (Picus puniceus).
(my 5th woodpecker so far, out of 18 in Malaysia)
You can't miss this noisy hole digger. This Crismson-winged ID can be confused with Banded Woodpecker if not for the pale grayish-bluish eyering for this crimson species.

Crimson-winged Woodpecker (Picus puniceus)
Crimson-winged Woodpecker (Picus puniceus)
Crimson-winged Woodpecker (Picus puniceus)
Crimson-winged Woodpecker (Picus puniceus)
Δ Lifer No. 4 - Chestnut-breasted Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus curvirostris) - my 4th malkoha out of 6). Beautiful big bird (size=46cm) with long tail and bare red patch of rough skin around the eye.

Chestnut-breasted Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus curvirostris)
Chestnut-breasted Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus curvirostris)
Chestnut-breasted Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus curvirostris) Actually this bird was feeding on butterfly larva when I photograph it.
I could not get the full body picture with food in mouth because of thick leaves blocked my view
.



Chestnut-breasted Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus curvirostris)

Δ Lifer No. 5 - Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus)
This bird of prey was not exactly at Bukit Rengit, but at Felda Lakum (Palm oil plantation).
I was on my way back when I noticed this white bird perched motionless at a tall dead tree about 30meter from main road. I stopped my car and slowly assembled my shooting gear, and stat firing in the hot sun (1.14pm). It did not afraid of me and stay there until I said goodbye because my CF card already full .
This species is very common in Palm oil plantation, feeding on rats that eat palm fruits (talk about a food chain here).

Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus)
Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus)
Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus)
Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus)
Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus)

#>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<# Here are some of the birds that I found at Rengit during my birding trip last year.
Trogon
Scarlet-rumped Trogon (Harpactes duvaucelii)

Sharma
White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus)

Barbet
Blue-eared Barbet (Megalaima australis)

Monarch
Black-naped Monarch (Hypothymis azurea)

Monarch

This posting is features in I and the Bird # 100 celebration.
IATB Logo

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The variety of species and the wonderful colors never ceases to amaze me. Keep ‘em coming. I learn something new every time I come here.

Amila Salgado said...

Congrats on all those lifers!
Sounds like you have done extremely well. Chested-breasted Malkoha is my fav.

Adrienne Zwart said...

Oooh! Congratulations on all these lifers! You certainly have some lovely species there. My favorites are the woodpecker (love that crest) and the kite. Great photos, Tabib!

The Birdlady said...

Whoa! These birds are just amazing! As are,as always, your photos.)

Chris said...

Hi Tabib,
My favorite in this set is, without any contest, the Black-shouldered Kite. It is a very elegant bird and still it can strike really hard and quickly. But, heye, you have so many species around! How many have you seen already? And how many do you totally have in your country?

Wai Yien said...

great catch

Redzlan said...

Thanks ALL for your comments!

There are 742 birds species in Malaysia and I have seen less than 100.

Madibirder said...

Looks like a good outing at Bukit Rengit.I like the peeping tom photo. I must go there one of these days Doc. Congrats
Rosmadi

Madibirder said...

Looks ike a good outing at Bukit Rengit.I like the peeping tom photo.
Must go there one day.
Rosmadi

Luis Novo said...

you have a great bird collection!!
beautiful