06 October 2009

Operation Trogon

My Word TuesdayClick the above LOGO for more participation from all over the world.

One month with no birding trip, make me itchy to go out. Fasting month over, the end of six days Syawal fasting was celebrated with one hour trip to Bukit Rengit last Sunday with the main objective - TO FIND TROGON

I have been to Rengit before, and seen a female Scarlet-rumped Trogon, with the help of fellow birder. This time I am alone with no other birder or photographer.

this is a view of Malay Village - on the way to Bukit Rengit, Lancang
Malay Village

I reached the birding site at 7.00am and spotted this red bird 55 minutes later.
Not an easy task to see this motionless bird hiding among the yellow green foliage.
Scarlet-rumped Trogon

Although this is the same trogon species that I have seen last year, this a male species is new to me. Very happy to met this guy without anyone help.
Scarlet-rumped Trogon
This un-croped shows the limitation of 400mm, so Minister of Finance, please approve my 600mm f4 IS lens. :)
Scarlet-rumped Trogon Male
I'm not to happy with the quality of this images, not sharp enough. What can I do at shutter speed of 1/25 sec in the dark canopy overcast morning. Even flash can't help it.
Scarlet-rumped Trogon Male
The male species sport a black head, wheres the female just brown.
Scarlet-rumped Trogon (Harpactes duvaucelii)

Scarlet-rumped Trogon (Harpactes duvaucelii)

This Asian Fairy Bluebird (Irena puella) was my other lifer that day.
Fairy Bird

Streaked Bulbul (Ixos malaccensis), poking the dead branch like a woodpecker.
ID Correction: Chestnut-rumped Babbler (Stachyris maculata)
Streaked BulbulI noticed that there was rapid development at Bukit Rengit,
A new bigger bridge is under construction. This wide clearing land is for new building of Malaysian Institute for Biodiversity.
Construction site That big yellow sign board shows "Pembangunan Institut Kepelbagaian Biologi (IKB) Lancang, Pahang Darul Makmur". Meaning development for Institute for Biodiversity. 'YYM Builder Sdn Bhd.' was given a contract to complete the RM 25 million phase 1 project .
New Bridge siteI hope the development and land clearing does not interfere with animal and nature there.
Red-bearded Bee-eater (Nyctyornis amictus), only gave me a back view..
Red-bearded Bee-eaterSpotted this Stripe-throated Bulbul (Pycnonotus finlaysoni) foraging on vines.
Stripe-throated Bulbul and this jumpy Rufescent Prinia (Prinia rufescens) was my last bird, found it at 12.34pm.
Went home at 1.00pm, tired but happy - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
Rufescent Prinia
Map of the birding site, download from GPS Garmin 60CSx. Bukit Rengit track in dotted magenta.
Bukit Rengit MapThis elevation graph shows that I have covered 6.3km in five hours.
Rengit Elevation

18 comments:

Wai Yien said...

not bad a trip to Bkt Renggit. well done.

holdingmoments said...

Such beautiful birds you have there. That Trogon is a stunner.

Adrienne Zwart said...

Tabib, I understand your frustration with the limitations of your lens. Your photos are still beautiful though! What a stunning bird the Trogon is. Here's hoping you get the lens you are wishing for.

Quilt Works said...

Still pretty birds despite being a little soft! Thanks for sharing!

Bob Kaufman said...

Congratulations on getting your trogon, Tabib! It took me 4 years of trying before I finally got my trogon - the Elegant Trogon in Arizona.

Lois said...

I am just amazed at the beautiful colors on these birds! I think you did a great job of photographing them.

Madibirder said...

Have to go there. Trogon oh Trogon.
A very productive outing.

rainfield61 said...

I enjoy the trip with you to Bukit Rengit, for the scenery and birdie.

Erin said...

happy you were able to snap the trogon...beautiful colors. thought you did a dynamite job.
have a wonderful week tabib.

Sylvia K said...

What incredibly beautiful and colorful birds!I know you must have had so much fun and I'm really happy you were able to make the trip and get all of these marvelous photos to share with us!!

Have a great week, Tabib!

Sylvia

Kelly said...

Tabib...the Trogon really is a spectacular bird, so even though you weren't happy with the photos, they were wonderful for me. The red belly, black and white tail...blue eyebrow and bill...all are beautiful. Also...the Fairy Bluebird is beautiful. Congrats on a new lifer.

magiceye said...

that was a superb birding trip that you took us on! enjoyed it thoroughly!

Anonymous said...

What a striking bird that red Trogon and the Asian Bluebird too. You had a successful outing and worth the effort.

Dora said...

The 1st pic reminds me of my days in a village!

Andor Marton said...

The red-bearded bee-eater looks very interesting, I'm sure he/she would be a nice subject for a portrait.
The trogon looks to be the same species I have seen in Brazil ... but the same story - bad light.
I don't understand something - why should the Minister approve a lens? I hope that's not s stupid question.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Malay Kampung & interesting trip.I love the view of Kampung.

Redzlan said...

Thanks ALL for your comments.
Ha..ha.. My Finance Minister is the same as Home Minister! :-)

Andor Marton said...

LOL ... what a big misunderstanding ... from me of course :D