08 December 2009

Bean Bag destroyed by Beetle - My World of Insect

This is the fate of my DIY bean bag that I made in June 2009.
After six months, the seed beetles invade it and burrow into the grain.
I opened the bag, threw away the infected bean, and refilled it with sand.
DIY Photography Bean BagSeed beetles or bean weevils
Green Bean BugCallosobruchus chinensis (Linnaeus), Bruchus chinensis (Bruchidae)
Green Bean BugThis was the first sign that I knew something sinister happened inside the bag. The bug came out of the bean bag through the cloth mesh when I was photographing the bird. That bug even crawled on my face!
Brucus sp.The bugs jumped and flew out. This was a photograph on the mosaic floor.
Brucus sp.
I dumped the spoiled bean in my backyard on 26th November
Green BeanKacang Hijau - Mung Beans (Vigna radiate) - Oh!... different kind of BUG on that young leaf...
Pokok KacangThis is what happened after eleven days (7th December 2009).
Only a few beans are viable and grow, the rest are rotten like that black-coloured bean above.
... and here is another BUG (housefly) on the leaf.

Pokok Kacang Hijau

My Word TuesdayClick the above LOGO for more participation from all over the world.

11 comments:

Lois said...

Yikes! Those bugs do not look nice.

Wai Yien said...

time to sew another...

Terence Ang said...

insect is not something i like that much. It really freak me up!!
Just very scared of them

Sylvia K said...

Oh, yes! Time to sew another!! We can all do with less bugs!

Have a great bug free week, Tabib!

Sylvia

Quilt Works said...

Eww. That's awfull.

Sorry for all the damage.


... Visit my "Heavenly Beams"

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

You are a smart man,

here in NZ, the kiwis make a wheat heat bag, warm up in the mirco wave and it remains heat for sore muscles.

For your camera support, if the sand is too heavy, or sand comes out of the seams,

May be if you use a wheat bag, and pop it in the mircowave oven, the weevils will not grow.

http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2008/11/wheat-bags.html

Autumn Belle said...

These bugs are actually thinking that they discovered treasure island until you discovered them and put an end to their paradise. Looks like scary stuff. Sand bag is certainly a better option.

eileeninmd said...

I do not like any kind of bugs. The sand does seem like a better choice.

Jordan Sitorus said...

Now you can grow your own beans!

Why dont you use the silica gel instead Tabib?...Rather than throwing them away..

Anyway, nice pic

Madibirder said...

Apa nak buat . Nasi dah jadi bubur..........kacang :(
Anyway I know you will enjoy the refill.

Marites said...

insects! the captures are really interesting. wonder how far can the beans grow :) My world is here.