27 February 2010

Tragic End - Nesting Failed

I have been observing this nest since 4th Feb (except from 14-18th Feb when I was admitted for operation). I started to have an emotional attachment with the iora parents and amazed of their hard word during the incubation and feeding the chicks.
Then this happened....
On Friday evening, I waited for nearly two hours for the parent returning to feed the chicks, but nothing. No parent in sight, not even the call. So I decided to have a closer look at the nest. I took the ladder and this was what I saw.
Who was the culprit? I don't know.
Maybe some predator bird - Gold-whiskered Barbet has been known to eat another bird at my backyard.
Black-naped Orioles has been well documented in attacking and raiding other bird nests.
(refer to BESGroup website).
The nest is still intact and the orioles are nesting about 20 feet away at the nearby Cempedak tree. So, I suspect that the chicks was eaten by Black-napes Orioles.

Empty Nest

14 comments:

Tony nile life said...

Any crows in the area Tabib rats are also responsible for nest thieving,
and yes its quite sad for it to end this way.

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

No, now crow or monkey at my backyard.
A lot of squirrel here. I had documented its feed on insect larva, maybe one of the suspect.

wondersf said...

I suppose that the next best chore would be to track their sucess rate. In my case, the whole nest just simply disappeared. This one by bird and the main culprits were between House Crow and Black-naped.
So sorry that you lost one golden opportunity. if I have known your house whereabout, my name would be on top of the list.

Ghost said...

Don't feel sad Mr. Tabib!.

Who ever the villain, only about 30% nesting are successful.
It part on natural process.
Happy birding! ;)

rainfield61 said...

This is part of the journey.

Wai Yien said...

don't be sad, there will be another day.

Lois said...

Oh no! I would be heartbroken myself. That is a beautiful nest though.

Idris Ismail Talu said...

I feel sad too.

Tabib had his own personal experienced with the birds could had tough time with it.

Simon Taylor said...

Tragic news Tabib. I know how you feel when a pair of Mute Swans reared 6 cygnets on my patch and one by one they all dissapeared probably down to foxes. Very saddening.

Kelly said...

Ohhh no...so sad, Tabib. It's heartbreaking.

Amila Salgado said...

I never realised that orioles could turn violent to raid other birds' nests. What's wrong with this world? Deeply sorry to hear this. Thanks for your dedication to share this, Tabib.

Maria said...

What a sad story, Tabib. I hope they will be successful with their new eggs.

Terence Ang said...

First of all, great job on observing. However what a sad ending. Me too have encounter one sad ending for Iora nest.

Jordan Sitorus said...

Well, have to say thats nature at it's best. It's a sad ending to the Iora family, and to your observation opportunity...but its a circle of life. Better luck with the orioles tho!