01 September 2008

Birds Photography on Merdeka Day

I did a bird photography alone at a hill along the 'Jalan Rumah Pegawai Daerah' - a road that lead to officer residence of Raub's District Officer. The parade and Merdeka celebration was at the field below it. So I did the birding while listening to the patriotic songs!.

There is a big fruiting tree just out side the Magistrate Court, so all this pictures were taken around that tree.

This my LIFER - a small Cuckoo- not sure of species.
I notice the yellow-eye ring is the characteristic.
? Plaintive Cuckoo (Cacomantis merulinus)(Female)
? Rusty-breasted Cuckoo (Cacomantis sepulcralis) - juvenile.

I will confirm the ID later
No birding for me during Ramadan (fasting month),
until next posting, enjoy this pictures!



Another LIFER

Thick-billed Green Pigeon (Treron curvirostra)
Local name Punai Daun
Size (cm) 27









Selamat menyambut Ramadan Al-Mubarak


This a fruits that attract birds. Finally I got the name of this fruits -Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina)
and here is an adult Asian Glossy Starling.
The red coloured fruits was enhanced (20% increased saturation with Adobe PhotoShop CS2).




and here is a common Yellow-vented Bulbul.










the same bird,







another view













Pacific Swallow (Hirundo tahitica)









Plaintain squirel with white fruits.











the green figs













Adult Asian Glosy Starling feeding the chick.











Asian Glossy Starling (Aplonis panayensis)
Local name Perling Mata Merah
Size (cm) 20
Habitat Parks, wooded areas










and the juvenile









I caught this
Gold-whiskered Barbet (Megalaima chrysopogon)
in courting ritual.

The same event as Coppersmith Barbet that I documented previously.
The male will offer a food to female before the act.


















This is a yellow fruits that the barbets eat















the barbets flew off before I could document their action!





4 comments:

Amila Salgado said...

Hi Tabib,
The cuckoo when I checked with the Robson's Guide looks like the Plaintive Cuckoo Cocomantis passerinus female. I am happy to be corrected. You have taken a good picture of it to aid ID.

I have a feedback to give to you. E-mail me on gallicissa AT gmail DOT com and I will let you know what it is.

Redzlan said...

Thanks for the ID Amila.

I also think that is the correct id.

(also have that reference: "New Holland Field Guide to the Birds of South-East Asia by Craig Robson")

Gill - That British Woman said...

beautiful photo's. Thank you for popping by my blog and posting a comment...........I am still a novice at taking photos

Gill in Canada

Anonymous said...

assalamualaikum.

very nice birds.... memang expert birding. u batch masa kat abs temerloh semsas dulu ke? sama dengan roslan hamid?.. masa smsp lagi?

thanks for leaving a note at my blog, at least i can trace you to here.

selamat berpuasa dan menyambung silaturrahim