10 April 2007

Bird Photography

Taking picture of birds has been my favorite during my film SLR days. I have a few slides of belatuk, pipit, merbah and tiung pictures taken when I was at Bera.



With my new Canon EOS 400D, I tried to revive that hobby.
Just play around with my new telephoto lens, Tamron 70-300mm.



I got this great pic of Magpie Robin from Malaysia Bird Forum.
by Leslie Liang
Here are some bird photography tips by Kris Butler,
and this is another by KenRockwell.com site.


Sample of A few Malaysian birds by soonpin
List of some birds in Malaysia.
Database of Malaysian Birds - here.


This King Fisher shoot is not mine, got it from the web

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This Murai sits on top of steel fence near my house, singing cheerfully. Need more practice, time and patience to get great shots like Leslie's. Magpie Robin, some info from Singapore site.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Burung Ketitir (Zebra Dove) couple taking a rest at my 'penyidai kain'...
More info and description click here.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Cleaning her fur..







This is the Tamron 70-300 zoom lens, use with tripod to minimum the camera shake.

The 300mm telephoto lens is the absolute minimum focal length for a bird photo, can capture the tame or urban birds like Magpie, Myna, Dove etc.
500mm and above is the ideal lens if you are serious enough or a pro.









We can know the name of birds by collecting stamps.


Malaysian Birds Stamps:-
site 1
site 2












Photographic Guide Book of Malaysian Birds.
I have not read this book yet.

Another book is this new field guide
A Field Guide to the Birds of West Malaysia and Singapore (Paperback)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup.. since you provide the comparison, i see the pro and the amateur.. however to us non-practicing, a picture is a picture :)

THOMAS said...

fine fotos!
thomasbirds.blogspot.com