22 March 2008

Common Myna Nesting

I went to my mother-in-law's house in Temerloh yesterday evening.
As usual, I brought my birding and photography gears with me, and have about one hour of birding and shooting around her house.
My target was Dollar Bird that usually perch at this old dead coconut tree, but non appears this time.
Only this Common Myna (Acridotheres tristis) that making a nest out of the old Woodpecker hole.
Flew in with food at its beak (Blur photo - not clearly seen).

looked inside












jumped in












very deep












Looked out after feeding her chicks.












looking left












looking right












right again












ready to fly out












sticking her head farther













Flew and perched at the very top of the dead coconut tree.
(This is the favorite spot of Dollar Bird that I took picture in December 2007).

This hole was probably made by woodpecker, and recycle by this common myna.
Very high at the upper one-third section of the tree, about 50 feet (15 meters) in height.







Flew away in search of the next food.
I saw it brought in the foods twice in about 45 minutes that I observed.

I hope to see the chicks, but this nest is very high.
Unfortunately this is one off observation. I will only be coming here in three weeks time, may be the chicks not yet fledge. My be...

No comments: