10 November 2008

Better Beamer Melt my Flash Light

I was photographing this Mango Flower one bright Saturday morning at my backyard. The sun light was very bright at 7.40am that give a very good glow to this flower.
Suddenly my wife said, "there is smoke at your camera!". I smell a burned plastic, immediately check it and noted the big hole on my 580 EX flash.

Bunga Mangga Mempelam Mango Flowers back lighting  I have noted the two small dents at my flash for quite some time. I thought that the dents was cause by over heat batteries inside the flash. Only that morning than I realize the real culprit was the sunlight concentrates or focused by Better Beamer which melted the plastic.
Lucky that my flash is still functioning because the exposure was not long enough.

Link to the same experience from photo.net

Light path at burned flashFlash melt






















Better Beamer or flash extender consists of Fresnel screens /flat magnifying lens that enhance the flash light output. With it the flash can cover longer distances, very useful with telephoto lens and bird photography. The picture above shows how the reverse effect of Bettter Beamer - light traveled back to flash!.

6 comments:

Vickie said...

That is a beautiful image. But wow about the heat and effect on your equipment! Isn't "learn as you go" the absolute challenge?!

Lana Gramlich said...

Oh no! Sorry about the damage to your flash!

Redzlan said...

Yes Vickie!, we keep learning every day - try and error!

Iana,
I read that some photographer burn their shoulder/shirt while carying that flash extender in hot sun.

Amila Salgado said...

First time I heard such an accident. I must keep that in mind for I too am a canon flash user. Thanks for sharing

Jordan Sitorus said...

That's nasty!
I planned to get the extender before but decided to wait until I can 'tame' my flash. Afraid to admit but I haven't got too comfortable with it.
Now, with your bizzare incident..I might postpone it even longer!
Never mind me, hope yours still works & assist you with your wonderful work!

jack2964 said...

Hello,
I am desperately looking to buy a Better Beamer in Malaysia but I cannot find anyone stocking this item. Could you please tell me where I can possibly buy one.
Thank you very much
Jack