04 November 2008

Two new Bulbul species to my list

Found this two Bulbul species, while birding at Top Rank Camp on Sunday.

There are 130 bulbul species worldwide and 29 species which occur in Malaysia.
I only found six species so far;
1) Yellow-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier)
2) Hairy-backed Bulbul (Tricholestes criniger)
3) Buff-vented Bulbul (Iole charlottae)
4) Black-headed Bulbul (Pycnonotus atriceps) - most colourful that I have seen.
and add this two new one;
5) Red-eyed Bulbul (Pycnonotus brunneus)
6) Streaked Bulbul (Ixox malaccensis)

Most bulbul look the same from a far - with shade of grey and brown, . I only know their species name only when downloaded the images to computer and referring to Birds Guide Books.

Red-eyed Bulbul (Pycnonotus brunneus)Merbah Mata Merah Red-eyed Bulbul (Pycnonotus brunneus)

 Streaked Bulbul (Ixox malaccensis)Merbah Lorek Streaked Bulbul (Ixox malaccensis)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice bulbul shot.
I wonder where is this photo was taken. Is it in Taman Negara?

Maria said...

Beautiful blog and great pictures! I love the mango blossom very much, I never saw it before!
Thank you for coming to my blog! Would you like to have seasons or do you prefer it as it is?
For me, the change from summer to winter is a hard because winter lasts so long here, the warm season with swimming outdoors is only about 4 months. This is not enough for me!

Amila Salgado said...

Well done, Tabib!
I remember seeing some of those...

Redzlan said...

Bintang:
I never been to Taman Negara (hope to go there some day)
Those pics were shot at Raub's recreation park.

Maria:
Thanks for your comment.
I don't know, never been to temperate country before. I guess we have our own pro and contra.

Amila:
So many bulbuls to see, but most of them are not at my backyard.

wickedwarhol said...

Your bird shots have always been brilliant and these new additions are just flawless with good perch and exposure.

I'll be leaving for Hajj on the 18th 4.00am. Salah silap dalm perjumpaan di siber harap dimaafkan.

Regards.