09 January 2009

Watching the Barn Swallow - SkyWatch Friday


This is a very common bird here, winter migrant that adds to local Pacific Swallow population . It never fails to amaze me how they fly acrobatically to catch an insect on the wing. Constantly moving during day light.
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)Only at dawn they start to take position roosting on their favorite perched - an electric cable here.
I wonder why they chose certain overhead wires for the night and not the other. In Raub here, they choose a cables in front of shops lot at Lipis Road, particularly at Petrol Stations, Public Bank and Bank Simpanan Nasional.

Sky Watch Logo
Click the Logo above for more SkyWatch pictures from all over the world.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job at capturing the Swallows in Flight. They are so fast and often hard to follow. I like how you got them sitting and perching on the cable. Cool.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

you got some great color I usually just get the silhouette look when I get the birds in flight did you have extra lighting?

The Birdlady said...

Their cousins live in my neighborhood! Small world.....

Anonymous said...

Great swallows. I've tried to shoot flying swallows! One of the toughest things I've ever attempted more than once!

Sylvia K said...

I love the Swallows! All of your photos are beautiful! and what a clear, blue sky! We could use some of those here in Seattle. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Tabib: Those are really neat sky flying shots. Thanks for sharing your birds.

Marvin said...

Great shots of the flying barn swallows. They are fun birds to watch.

Lana Gramlich said...

I love the 1st picture of them all lined up on the wire. I used to like watching swallows diving for insects flying low over a local pond when I lived in Canada.

Jordan Sitorus said...

Wwow! Very impressive inflight shots...never easy! You made it look easy, congrats!