08 September 2009

Sarang Tebuan - Nest of Vespa affinis

My Word TuesdayClick the above LOGO for more participation from all over the world.

I was searching for birds at the back lane of Jalan Tan Tiong one Sunday evening.
There used to be a busy road that leads to the Police Flat, but now that building is now abandoned and the road became narrow overgrown with lalang and tall grass.
Abandon Police Flat
When I arrived, where was not a single bird around. I was not surprised because at 1:30pm, all the birds went into hiding from the noon heat.
Than I noticed a heat of insect activity on the second floor of that building. There you are, one big wasps nest and so many of that bugs flying around.

Sarang Tebuan
Slowly I inched forward and observed, none of the wasp tried to chased me. They just do their normal activity, building the nest. I braved myself and went closer to about 20 feet and got this few pictures.

Tebuan
Lesser banded hornet (Vespa affinis)
Sarang Tebuan
More info about this species at vespa-bicolor.net here.
That's MyWorld
MyWorld meme host by:
Klaus Sandy Ivar Wren Fishing Guy Louise

12 comments:

Chris said...

Wow Tabib, That is a nest! What a big size! And they are really colorful this wasp!

Unknown said...

Just last week my neighbors help me to get one down behind my house. They took the baby bees. Says it's good for food. It's my first time seeing it in close up.

Elaine Yim said...

Tabib, this is a great shot. The nest look like the masterpiece of a clay artist. I like the wavy pattern and the colour texture of the nest. You have managed to get a clear image of the wasps. I am very scared of wasps.

Unknown said...

Wow !!look scary,thanks for the closeup image..really wonderful:)
Have a nice day.

Sylvia K said...

What fantastic shots, Tabib! And that is one BIG wasp nest! I love being able to see it up close! The texture and colors are marvelous! And great shots of the wasps as well! And in a picture is the only way I want to see them this close!!!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Jane Hards Photography said...

As always such wonderful photography of the not so usual world around.

Madibirder said...

I can still remember the agony and pain of being bitten by 3 of these Italian scooters. Ouch.....

SandyCarlson said...

Those hive photos are amazing.

Razak Bin Ramli said...

Amat bahaya tebuan ni...
Saya pernah disengat masa tu musim buah langsat.Tebuan suka mengurung
buah lansat yang gugur.Entah macam mana tiba KENA sengat.10 x lebih sakit dari sengat lebah.Itu baru sekor saja.Pergi kelinik Kesihatan Benta, Dr cucuk baru reda sikit sakitnya.

Arija said...

Fantastic captures Tabib. Wonderful nest building skills of that colourful mud structure.

Thank you for your bravery!

Lois said...

What a huge nest! Those are amazing close up shots. I would be worried about that nest if I lived in that building!

DeniseinVA said...

Incredible little engineers. Just beautiful!