13 January 2010

Duck - Khaki Campbell

While the current hot topic at NaturePixels bird forum now is about rare winter migrant - the Masked Finfoot. I got this 'rare' visitor at my front-yard.

This duck somehow lost or trapped in between my front-yard's fence and the monsoon drain.
None of my neighbors owns or rear the duck, so this bird must be from further up and probably carried away by overflowing river the night before.
It is not a wild duck because it looks tame and didn't fly when I approached with a camera.
I try to get the species name to this duck, can't find the specific that resemble the feather pattern. I closest that I get is Khaki Campbell, probably juvenile judging from incomplete feathers of the wings.

Malaysia Domestic Duck - Khaki Campbell Duck

The picture above was taken at 8:34am under very low morning lighting.
The duck was still there until 7.00pm, and the picture below was taken at 3.11pm.

Itik Khaki Campbell

Not the best exposure here. The above white at the neck and yellow at vegetation were over exposed.

16 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a beautiful duck! And your shots are wonderful! Have a good week!

Sylvia

Lois said...

That duck is beautiful! He has very pretty eyes.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely photos of this very pretty duck. The lighting is wonderful!

Tony nile life said...

I used to breed these ducks for the eggs this is a female in molt, they will lay 300 to 320 eggs per year. its quite a new species I believe about 1900. the males are very much like the mallard. and more recently anew species has been developed 1970s the Welsh harlequin these are much more like the runners. in posture but another excellent layer.

Chris said...

Hi TAbib,
I love the portrait and as you said it does not look like a wild duck!

Splendid Little Stars said...

gorgeous, gorgeous shots! You always take the most wonderful photos of the most wonderful birds! It is a treat to visit your website. I am running out of exclamatory adjectives.

Lindy said...

Very pretty duck. I like the portrait and the color of its eye. I hope it finds its home again.

rainfield61 said...

Do we have wild ducks in our city?

Mike said...

Hi Tabib, I can't help with the birds ID but I would say domesticated.

I like the bottom shot best of the two.

Andrew said...

Love the detail in the eye on the second photo!

eden said...

Great shots! Love all your pictures. You are a good photographer..

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

The duck was lucky you shoot it with a camera and not with a real gun.

Such a coincidence that I also posted a duck photo.

http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-world-tuesday-brisbane.html

Any idea what kind of duck it is? May be your campbell duck is the father.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Tabib: What a wonderful close-up of the duck, love the way the eye shows.

Kelly said...

...he has a beautiful eye...a good surprise to find in your yard! ...and I love all the green. It looks so warm and lush. I can only dream about that now as we are in a deep freeze!

Redzlan said...

Thanks ALL for your comments.
The 1st pic was shot from behind the fence, and the second was no obstruction, all full frame without croping.

and to Tony Nile thanks for specific ID - "Khaki Campbell Female in Molt".

Ann, your is a female Mallard duck with babies!.

Kelly, come over to Malaysia to enjoy all the sunshine. ;)

Jama said...

Gorgeous shots, I like the second one best. Hopefully the duck do get reunited with the rest of the family.