02 May 2011

Pacific Swallow gathering a nesting material

I was in my car when I noticed a small flock of Pacific Swallow at a water puddle. I though they were drinking water from that rain water. After lunch I brought my camera and shot a few frames from a car hand held without beanbag , only then than I knew that they were gathering a nesting material. They specifically choose the mud pellets from the root of grass, and include part of the root before flying off.
Pacific Swallow gathering nesting material
Pacific Swallow - Mouth full of mud!
Pacific Swallow gathering nesting material


Pacific Swallow gathering nesting material

I was in a hurry for work without realizing that my camera setting was in TV mode (speed priority) and at f32  ISO 1600. Lucky that the speed was at 1/500.  I always shot a bird in AV mode (aperture priority) and set it a the widest f5.6.
After reviewing the pictures, that mistake was not bad at all. With the small aperture (f32), the fore and background are in focus ,  giving more emphasis about the water puddle and grass - environmental shots.

Pacific Swallow Feeding her chicks
Location: Parking lot, Raub, Pahang. Nest at TopRank resort, Raub.
     

7 comments:

Ari said...

Great shots as well as interesting account of the Swallows! Thanks for sharing, Doc.

Madibirder said...

Layers of mud,that's where the word ADOBE comes from, . So these bird are building an adobe nest. The 3rd shot is simply great.

Chris said...

ouah really great shots Tabib and wonderful birdies!

rainfield61 said...

They are very common over here.

They wake me up everyday.

Wai Yien said...

Good find. Never come across pacific swallows going on the ground for foods.

Tank said...

Salam Doc, your are invited to join Camera Talk - Basic technique for birds Photography by Ari at Wetland this saturday...feel free to join us.hehe

salam
tank

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Great shots..., they dont need cangkul to dig for cacing....