Chasing Montane Jewels: A Morning at Bukit Tinggi’s Hidden Hide

11 October 2026

Chasing Montane Jewels: A Morning at Bukit Tinggi’s Hidden Hide



 

My bird photography adventure to the Japanese Garden at Bukit Tinggi, Pahang, began in the quiet, crisp pre-dawn hours. I pulled up to the first guard house at 6:00 AM, parked my car, and headed straight to the reception desk to fill out the mandatory indemnity form. With the paperwork sorted, I made my way to the surau to perform my Subuh prayers, enjoying the serene morning stillness before the trek ahead. 

By 7:00 AM, I reached the second guard house. My car was the only one in the parking lot, confirming I had the mountain to myself. As I began climbing the steep stairs, I was suddenly greeted by a male Southern Pig-tailed Macaque. It gave me an aggressive look, but quickly backed off the moment I brandished my heavy tripod. Moments later, I arrived at the hide, completely alone in the tranquil forest.

I set up my Canon R5 Mark II, paired with the RF 100-500mm telephoto lens, scattered a bait of corn, and waited. Under the dense canopy, the dim morning light forced me to push my ISO all the way to 25600 to maintain a sharp shutter speed. The patience paid off beautifully. At 8:02 AM, the stunning Ferruginous Partridge arrived, followed shortly by a lively White-rumped Shama, Serbian blue robin, Ochraceous bulbul and a curious Buff-brested Babbler. 
The ultimate reward came at 8:56 AM when a magnificent Mountain Peacock-Pheasant stepped into view.

 I finally left the hide at 9:30 AM, deeply satisfied. As I reached the entrance of the trail and was about to leave, I ran into Mr. Goh from Penang, who was just arriving. I wished him good luck with his birding session and headed home with a memory card full of Bukit Tinggi's finest montane treasures.
Indemnity form
Southern Pig-tailed Macaque
Hide -only one photographer
Serbian blue robin
Ferruginous partridge (Caloperdix oculeus)
White-rumped Shama
Muntain peacock-pheasant (Polyplectron inopinatum), emerge from the bush
three of them
Buff-brested Babbler
Ochraceous bulbul
orange colour wild fruit
Beruk makan buah
panorama view of the hide
Photog with camera+tripod+backpack at sign board
Mr. Goh from Penang, same white hair ;)

No comments: