Sunday, May 17, 2009

Stork-billed Kingfisher - birding with new buddy

I saw this beautiful Blue-eared Kingfisher posted by jhseow at PhotoMalaysia birds forum. He said this photos was photograph by his brother at Bukit Koman Raub. I contact his brother and we meet for one hour birding/bird photography yesterday. He know a lot of birds location in Raub, so we went to Cheroh at Chegu Yusof fish farm. Tean said he can guarantee that we can see Stork-billed Kingfisher there. Sure enough we managed to see that beautiful bird, the biggest kingfisher in Malaysia at 37cm long. My Lifer, thank you Tean.
Blue-Eared KingFisherLunch time - Blue-eared Kingfisher (Alcedo meninting) - image by Mr. Tean

Stork-Billed Kingfisher
Stork-billed Kingfisher (Halcyon capensis)
 Stork-billed Kingfisher
 Stork-billed KingfisherThis bird underparts is golden-orange-yellow in colour, so the local name is Pekaka Emas, Pekaka = Kingfisher, Emas = gold
 Stork-billed Kingfisher

Have a look for more bird pictures at the Bird Photography Weekly @ Birdfreak.

21 comments:

hasyimi said...

Assalamualaikum doc,
Beautiful shot of stork-billed kf. So did you get the blue eared too. I heard they say the blue eared is the most difficult to get.
rgds;

hasyimi said...

Assalamualaikum doc,
Beautiful shots of sbkf. so did you get the blue eared too?. I heard they say the blue eared is the most elusive one but not at Mr tean's place.
rgds:

Chris said...

Wow, wordless Tabib. These pictures are just amazingly beautiful. Well done.

Tabib said...

No I didn't get that small blue-eared. According to Tean, he waited for four hours at the small stream to get that elusive beauty.
I was more that happy to get the bigger cousin.

Glennis said...

Huge bill that birds got, very pretty kingfisher colours. Great photos.

T and S said...

The image of the blue eared is truly amazing.

madibirder said...

Assalaamualaikum Doc.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's Blue eared kingfisher. The colours at the ears and cheeks are orange, meaning to say it could be a Common Kingfisher.But still, is a very beautiful bird.Congrats to Tean.

yen said...

beautiful Blue-eared Kingfisher, great shot

Tabib said...

Ha,ha!. Look like Tean KF create more attention. ;) . (I know that bird is very difficult to get).
I have search the net. That small beard is a JUVENILE Blue-eared KF. (ref: Oriental Bird Image). Common KF colour is more of greenish and for Blue-eared more intense cobalt-blue. The juvenile specimen does not have blue feather to cover the ear, as this Tean image.

madibirder said...

Good research Doc. Yes i agree, It's a Blue-Eared KF. I'm learning!

Steve B said...

I’m always amazed at the color of your birds. What fun it must be to be a wildlife photographer in your area. The colors and variety are unparalleled.

MaineBirder said...

I love Kingfishers and this one is so colorful. beautiful photos Tabib!

animtreebird said...

Very beautiful birds. Great photos of them. :))) Love Kingfisher birds a lot myself. :)))

mick said...

Great photo of a very beautiful bird.

dAwN said...

Very ..Very cool.Beautiful bird! awesome shot!

Neil said...

Beautiful looking birds

Kelly said...

Wow! This bird is crazy beautiful. I love his oversized bill...everything on him is colorful...

Bradley Myers said...

They are some beautiful birds, I guess we always want what we don't have. Awesome captures.

Larry Jordan said...

I love Kingfishers Tabib and yours are truly incredible. All I can do is drool over your beautiful captures of these two birds.

Thank you for sharing them.

Christopher said...

Simply stunning - I really love your photography. Always fantastic!

Jordan Sitorus said...

Great Stork-billed kf shot Tabib. Congrats!