01 September 2009

Merdeka Day Birding - That's My World

Click the above LOGO for more participation from all over the world.

I spend two hours wandering alone around and on the hill of the Raub Magistrate Court during the morning of Merdeka holiday. Not a very fruitful day in term of bird photography, but quite an interesting outing because I found a new tract to be explore later.

Found this Hibiscus (Malaysia's National Flower), unkept and grew tall at the roadside leading to a abandoned government quarter.
Hibiscus Flower

This is the first bird that I found at 8.07am, calling loudly and foraging at a durian tree at the back of  Chinese house at Jalan Tan Tiong (Distillery Road). Actually, there were a pair of them, but I failed to photograph the other one. I had to cut short of exploring that back road because of the fierce dog chasing me. ;-)
Common Flameback Woodpecker (Dinopium javanense)
Woodpecker

Later I explored the road that leads to the Raub's District Officer Residence. The well maintain road with tall trees. Unlike the previous year Merdeka birding, I failed to photograph any bird along this trail. Heard Copper-Smith Barbet very high in the tree canopy and Abbott's Babbler deep in the bush.
Road to DO House

The newly renovated house at the end of the road, just outside of DO's House. I guess this house is for his bodyguard or assistant.
House...and here is the official residence of Raub's District Officer. Proudly stand at the highest point in town. Classic Malay design.
DO Official Residence

The view from the hill, overlooking the Dewan Jubli (blue roof), Raub's Field and Multi Purpose Building.
View from DO's Hill

The second captured of the morning. Male Magpie Robin obliged to be photographed at the perimeter fence of DO House.
Magpie RobinThen I walked the junction that leads to this building - Pusat TDK Harapan Raub (Raub Hope Child Education Center) . The day care center to train special children, like slow learner, down's syndrome, etc.
Tadikaand I found this beautiful Blue Dragonfly - Cratilla-metallica
Blue DragonFlyThis old government quarter was at the far end of the road not far from Children Center.
The overgrown lalang grass (Imperata cylindrical) and unkept flowers made this looks like a haunted house.
I quickly left the place after photographing this picture and felt somebody following me! ;)
Old Haunted HouseThe half ripe fruiting palm tree outside the Magistrate Court, keeps this Yellow-vented Bulbul preoccupied and unaware of my camera.
Bulbul FeedingFinally, before I dismantled the camera, this Horse-tailed Squirrel played around on electric cables and gave me a nice frontal posed at 9.51 am.
Although I had only three bird pics and no lifer, I'm happy and will explore this site after Raya.
I went home tired and thirsty!
SquirrelUPDATE: this is the tracking map that I just upload. That yellow doted line is my tracked site.

Raub Map
Tracked by Garmin GPSmap 60Csx
The graph shows the vertical profile, tracking height and distance. I covered 4.4km that morning. Good exercise during fasting month.
Tracking profile

18 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a delightful tour of a part of your world, Tabib! Your photos are fabulous as always!

Thanks for sharing the beauty!

Sylvia

Chris said...

Hi Tabib,
What a great idea to get us around with you. This is a nice birding trip and your world is truly fantastic. I love this woodpecker shot!

Luiz Ramos said...

You went home with beautiful pictures.
Great World.

Anonymous said...

the great thing about this early morning walks with you is that i don't necessarily have to get up early.

i completely enjoyed the tour and all the sights. see you next week.

Janie said...

I enjoyed your birding adventure, and also the interesting paths and architecture, dragonfly and squirrel.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I am always so envious of the array of birds you get. That squirrel is just so cute.

Wai Yien said...

Found a birding spot near Raub which you must try one dy.
While driving back from Kuala Lipis passing thru Raub, I spotted three Pied Hornbills near Taman Berchangkul (pass the Taman and take a right turn to the Kampung) which I follow.

It is actually is a birder heaven because there are many fruit trees like birds love. I wish I spend more time there but I started to rain.

rainfield61 said...

Tabib, thanks for the talking, I love it. And I have seen your equipment which reproduced all these good pictures.

Thank you again.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Tabib: Wonderful captures of the wildlife of your world. I especially like the blue dragonfly.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I miss those wood peckers. I lived in the Kampong of Singapore in NTU, outside my balcony were these birds TOK TOK TKO on the trees.

You have great photos.

Are you rested from yesterday
s celebration?

Kelly said...

...interesting walk and adventurous story!
I can see where that woodpecker gets his name. His flame-orange back is very interesting.

Unknown said...

The place look so peaceful.Nice photo ,all of them and thanks for sharing.
Salam 1Malaysia & Salam Ramadhan.

Arija said...

You certainly had an eventful day with so many sightings of wild-life ans well as human habitat.
We always carry water when out in the wild.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for the tour! Great that you added a map to your post! You had a great Free Day! Merdeka means Independance or Freedom, doesn't it?

Rajesh said...

Cool shots. Lovely variety.

LadyFi said...

Wow - what great animal/bird/insect captures... And that house in the long grass does look haunted, doesn't it?

Judy said...

That woodpecker looks a lot like some of the ones here in Canada, except for the flameback part!
And I love the hibiscus - so similar yet so different from the ones that are blooming here now!

Glennis said...

very nice photos, I just love the blue dragonfly and the woodpecker and the squirrel but all are good.