19 May 2010

Hornbill at my backyard

It has been more than two years since this big and noisy black-and-white bird visited my backyard. Yesterday morning I heard that familiar 'keng-keng-keng' sound at 7 a.m., not far from the back perimeter fence. She was busy poking and eating the ripe papaya.

Low morning light - at ISO 3200, speed 1/20 sec, f5.6, manual focus.

Pied Hornbill - my backyard 2010

Oriental Pied Hornbill (Anthracoceros albirostris)

Pied Horn bill at Papaya tree


My first encounter with this big bird was in June 2007, but the quality of the picture was very poor - like this.
I upgraded my lens to Canon telephoto 400mm in November 2007, and these are my first shots of hornbill with 400mm lens - 12/11/ 2007 @3.50pm

Pied Hornbill - my first shot with 400mm

Perched at banana fruits, Original Date/Time = 1/12/2007 @ 18:32:11

Pied Hornbill - my backyard 2007

Original Date/Time = 13/1/2008 at 07:44:06, with 400mm lens

Pied Hornbill - my backyard 2008
Location: My backyard, Raub, Pahang.

14 comments:

rainfield61 said...

The hornbill is so "real" which I have not seen in the wild.

Tony nile life said...

The hornbill is like me loves papya.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

A bird with a pair of big scissors as hunting tool. Awesome!

Lois said...

That is an interesting looking bird!

Phil Slade said...

Hi Tabib, i have been on holiday but good to see some things don't change , like your cracking pictures. Those are quality pictures at 3200 and 1/20th manual.

eileeninmd said...

WOW, what a cool looking bird. i sure would like to see one in person! Great photos!

Chris said...

In your yard, mamma mia, I will never get a so big bird in my yard. The pictures are superb for this nice encounter! Well done Tabib!

Madibirder said...

Haha, There goes your papaya!

Choy Wai Mun said...

WOW! You are so lucky...

Amila Salgado said...

Wow, I am impressed in a bit of a jealous sense :) How cool it is to have such high-profile birds visiting your yard! I can now see why you left those ripe papaws unpicked. It is amazing what good birds these well-wooded gardens can draw in tropics.

Ari said...

How I wish I can have visitors like these in my backyard..... I envy you Tabib!h

wondersf said...

You lured my pet bird away huh? But cannot be, since you are staying do far away from PJ. Congrats to you then.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Very unique and interesting looking feathered friend. You go some amazing shots.

Hasyimi Adam said...

Hornbill at your backyard! haha...must visit your backyard one day for birding.