07 May 2010

Punai Tanah at my backyard

I found this Punai Tanah literally means "Ground Pigeon" perched on the Cempedak tree (Artocarpus integer). This pigeon's natural habitat areas are forests, forest edges, and wooded areas. Perhaps my backyard has already become a wooded area. I think the main reason is their normal habitat is already destroyed by deforestation.

Photographed at 7:23am under dark canopy, no flash. So I had to push the ISO to the maximum of 3200.
The noise/gains are clearly visible here.

Punai Tanah - Green-winged Pigeon (Chalcophaps indica)
Punai Tanah

3 comments:

Joanne Olivieri said...

Wow, with no flash, very well done and crisp.

rainfield61 said...

You are having a small forest beside your house.

Amila Salgado said...

I used to get this in my garden too, but I haven't seen one in a couple years now. Green-winged Pigeon is not my favourite name for this -as there are so many pigeons that are green-winged. I much prefer the more established, Emerald Dove. When I started birding this used to be called Bronze-winged Pigeon - which I think was an insult.